WebSite X5 Evo and Pro
Even if not all websites have one, a blog is an effective tool to build a relationship with our audience, improve the SEO, define the company’s image or expand our online presence.
Whatever your goal is, creating a blog using WebSite X5 is really simple. Watch this video: 3 minutes are enough to learn the basic steps. Otherwise, you can keep reading.
Let’s find out together the fundamental steps:
- Open a blog and write your posts
- Define the layout of the pages
- Activate the comments
- Publish your posts
- Manage the comments
1. Open a blog and write your posts
The first thing you need to do is to define some general blog settings:
- Go to Step 1 - Website settings, open the Advanced section and click on the Blog button.
- Add a Title for your Blog and a short Description about the topics you will cover.
Now you can get straight to the heart of the matter and move on the contents:
- Stay in the Contents section and select the Add button to open the Post settings window.
- Use the options in the Contents section to report all the necessary details about the post. Write a title and a description, report the category it will be part of and who the author is. You can make your post even more complete and nicer by adding a cover image and specifying the date the blog post will need to be published.
- Now you can move on the real contents: use the editor to write the text for your post, format it and add images and links to complete it.
- When you’re happy with the result select OK.
- You will find the post you just wrote in the Post List: you can select it to open it and possibly make some changes.
2. Define the layout of the pages
Now that the first contents are in, you can define the graphic layout for your blog. Consider that the website template will automatically be applied to the blog as well. Still, you can work on its organization and layout:
- for the Blog Main Page, i.e. the page where all the published posts are displayed in chronological order;
- for the Article Page, i.e. the pages for each published post;
- for the bar with the Side Blocks, where you can report some navigation tools, such as the list of the categories or of the latest posts.
Let’s start from the Main Page, which corresponds to the Home Page for your Blog:
- Open the Main Page section and click on the Card Settings list to choose the way you want to display the cards, which are used to summarize the different posts.
- Use the available options to align the cards and define all the graphic elements.
- Use the Highlighted articles options to make the latest posts even more visible.
All the Article Pages have the same structure and the same graphic layout:
- Open the Article Page section and click on the View list to choose how title, cover image and contents should be displayed.
- Here you can activate the Create Google AMP pages including the Blog contents option.
Finally, you can make up and stylize the bar for the Side Blocks:
- Open the Side Blocks option and decide if and on which pages they should be displayed.
- Use the Add and Remove buttons to make up the list of blocks you want to make available.
3. Activate the comments
You are free to decide whether to give your readers the possibility of leaving comments for the posts you will publish:
- Open the Article Page section and activate the Let readers add Comments to your Blog option.
- Choose the Comment management system you prefer among:
- the WebSite X5 internal system
- Insert the required parameters according to the chosen system.
Even if you have activated the comments for the blog, you can remove this possibility for certain blog posts of your choice:
- Select the post in question from the Post List and click on the Edit button, so to open the Post Settings window.
- Go to the Resources section and check the Do not allow comments on this post option.
4. Publish your posts
Now that you have created your first posts, you just need to publish them online:
- Go to Step 5 - Export and select Upload the Website to Internet.
- If that’s the first time you export a project, insert all the connection parameters and select the Upload all the Website to the internet option.
- If, on the other hand, you have already exported your website online, and you just need to publish the latest blog posts you have written, select the Export only Blog and RSS Feed option: in this way, the export process will be quicker.
5. Manage the comments
If you chose to activate the blog comments, you must constantly manage the comments you get and possibly moderate the discussions which might take place.
You have different tools at your disposal according to the comment management system you have activated:
- if you are using the WebSite X5 internal system, you can moderate the discussions on the Online Control Panel, or, if you are a user of the Pro edition, you can use the WebSite X5 Manager App;
- if you are using Facebook or Disqus instead, you can rely on the dashboards provided by these systems to manage the comments.