WebSite X5 Evo and Pro
You may sometimes find you need a copy of the original project.
This is the easiest way to proceed:
- Click on Home > Open Project to access the Edit an existing Project window.
- Select the project you want to make a copy of from the list of existing projects in the Project Selection window.
- Click on the Duplicate button.
- A message will as you why you want to duplicate the project, namely if you want to create a new project or backup file:
- Click on YES if you want to use the duplicated project to create a new website. In this case, the two projects will have different ID's: even if they use the same database, the tables will be duplicated and so to keep the two projects separate.
- Click on NO to create a backup copy. In this case, the two projects will have the same ID and will use the same Database and the same tables data are stored on.
- Select the copy that has been made and rename it appropriately, then click on the Next button to edit it.
If you need to create a backup copy, you can also follow other procedures.
If you need to restore your project to the state it was in before making certain changes, WebSite X5 provides the commands necessary for doing this by using specific Backup functions (see: How to organize backup copies of your project).
If on the other hand you want to create a backup copy of a Project you want to store on a different device, other than the PC you are working on, you need to export the whole project in a zipped wile .IWZIP (see: How to import/export a project from one computer to another).
#tip - Multi-language website. Duplicating a Project is useful when, for example, you want to create a multi-language website. Once you have created the project in the first language (such as English), you can duplicate it to create the projects in all the other languages. The structure is already defined so all you have to do is translate the text and update any graphics that may change from one language to another (see: How to create a multi-language website).