WebSite X5 Evo and Pro
If you are wondering what a favicon is, the answer is simple: a favicon, i.e. a Favorite icon, is the icon associated to a website. It is that small image you can find on your browser tabs next to the name of the website you are visiting.
Adding a favicon to your website is really easy. Watch this video to find out what you need to do, or carry on reading.
What is a favicon and why is it important?
As already mentioned, a favicon is the icon associated to the website and it is shown in the browser tabs, in the shortcut and in the bookmark lists. To put the icing on the cake, a good favicon draws the attention and, in spite of its small size, it makes your brand more recognizable and memorizable in the eyes of your visitors.
A good favicon must:
- have an .ICO, .PNG, .GIF or .JPG format;
- be squared and about 16x16 or 32x32 pixels big;
- be simple enough to be clear despite its limited size.
#tip - Formats. While .ICO files are imported as such, WebSite X5 automatically creates a copy for .PNG, .GIF and .JPG files, generating a .PNG 16x16 pixels big file to be used as favicon, no matter the size of the original file.
How to work with a favicon?
The easiest way to create a favicon is to use one of the services available online, such as:
If you aren't happy with these services, you can make a quick online search to find some other free solutions.
How to add a favicon to your website?
Now that you have your favicon, you can follow these steps to add it to your website project:
- Go to Step 1- Website settings > General.
- For the Website Icon option, select the button and choose the file you want to use.
- Remember: you must export your website online to be able to see the favicon you have inserted.